Текущее время: 28 мар 2024 15:25

Часовой пояс: UTC + 3 часа

Правила форума

Внимание! Все права на материалы опубликованные в этом форуме принадлежат их авторам! Перепечатка туториалов и статей разрешена только со ссылкой на этот сайт! В противном случае факт перепечатки считается нарушением авторских прав!

Новая тема Ответить
Страница 1 из 1
[ Сообщений: 4 ]
Автор
Заголовок сообщения: [RtCW] Adding cyrillic font support, how is it done?
СообщениеДобавлено: 16 авг 2022 18:09
Okay, I know. It may sound stupid asking something like that twenty years after the game came out. Better late than never I guess.

For long... far too long I could say, I've been into making a proper text only translation for RtCW as it's my second favourite FPS after Doom, of course, though if it came out at the time Doom 1 released, it would have been for sure the only thing I would play. That one project I never completed for infinite amount of reasons, be it lack of time, motivation, pure laziness or say, sometimes Wolf Enemy Territory kept me occupied and I couldn't bother playing anything else, hehe...

...though the exact reason would pretty much be the lack of cyrillic support in the id Tech engine. Modders to the rescue, right, you say.

Yes, a lot of people out there know id Software's engine like the back of their hand, no matter the version. Thus they found their ways to add new languages to the game in between everything else, even Arabic which is crazy. Alas as a person who only has expertise in graphical design, I told myself - "I'll find a way to add the fonts myself one day to have the whole thing completed, well-done and satisfying to use. If I give up now I'll both disappoint myself and have my time wasted, giving up is not an option". The fact the engine is quite moddable itself kept me convinced I will even so I knew it may be false hopes.. Ultimately I gave up, many times... then I come back at it, I keep digging on the internet... I give up again... and that cycle keeps happening for 10+ years already. Still having the translation done yet stuck with the goddamn fonts, man... It's like trying to run your lovely classic car but you can't find a part due to its rarity, it's there in front of you, can't enjoy it.

I never spoke about this challenge of mine in here - don't remember if I asked somewhere except an old RTCW fansite which doesn't exist anymore, imagine how long ago that was... My question being, do you nice folks know if a proper tool exists for this task allowing for exporting cyrillic alphabet from a TTF font to .TGA/.DAT file, much like RR2DO2's Q3Font (Quake 3 Arena Font compiler, only works with Latin languages...), for use in RTCW? Maybe some of you did this thing for your own mods, are aware of the way to do it and might want to share about it out of pure passion for the franchise dunno, dunno...lots of fantastic modders out there who do wonders...

Mind you I tried zillion utilities and means to do that already, none I found to export cyrillic letters. So I'm in a dead end once again.

Here's hoping.... Or trying not to lose hope. Thanks.
Discord: N3rwitZ/Nerwitz#8444 (Quite often :D)
Заголовок сообщения: Re: [RtCW] Adding cyrillic font support, how is it done?
СообщениеДобавлено: 17 авг 2022 06:17
The game itself can generate fonts from TTF

This feature seems to be disabled by default and you need to activate it in the source code

СообщениеДобавлено: 17 авг 2022 11:06
Dunno, Eugeny. Can't know about that cause I have no programming skills, unfortunately.
СообщениеДобавлено: 20 авг 2022 14:47
After few days of intense research, tryouts and looking into the source with the help of some kind folks from the community, it turns out...

1. Yes, you're right, Eugeny, the method is disabled in the source code (tr_font.c)
2. id tech 3 doesn't support Unicode by default
3. The Free Type library code (tr_font.c) has to be expanded to allow for Unicode support, which requires person skilled in programming and knowing fonts
4. Nobody except the team behind the unofficial Russian translation, Fargus, has ever done that in 21 years since the game came out.
5. With that in mind, it seems like it's a real dead case.
Страница 1 из 1
[ Сообщений: 4 ]

Часовой пояс: UTC + 3 часа